Assist with a feasibility study and preliminary technical evaluation of various system configurations for a unique biomass-to-power and liquid fuels facility using feedstock materials different from the original design.
BIOMASS TO POWER / LIQUID FUELS FACILITY FEASIBILITY STUDY SUPPORT
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted by the client, an advanced gasification technology provider, to assist with a feasibility study and preliminary technical evaluation of various system configurations for a unique biomass-to-power and liquid fuels facility. The client had previously completed a preliminary mass and energy balance and PROCESS had previously completed a preliminary process design for an initial plant configuration. From this information, PROCESS had developed an early stage capital cost estimate for a plant with the given configuration and size. Subsequent to these projects, the composition of the biomass feedstock changed significantly based on the proposed geographical location of the plant. To this end, the client asked PROCESS to perform specific project tasks in support of a feasibility study for the new design basis feedstock plant. These included:
- Modification of the client spreadsheet-based gasifier mass and energy balance to model the production of a syngas that was more conducive (e.g., with less water content) for the new overall system configuration
- Modification of PROCESS' original CHEMCAD model to evaluate the heat effects associated with the gasifier operation
- Preparation of preliminary equipment specifications for the gasifier feed system, gasifier, heat recovery equipment, and pollution control system.
PROCESS provided this information to the client in support of its overall effort to determine feasibility for this system configuration for the chosen location.
- Alternative Fuels Technology Development
- Process design
- Feedstock change feasibility study
Copyright © 2017 Process Engineering Associates, LLC. All rights reserved.