Perform a technical evaluation and debottlenecking study of an ethanol plant's #1 beer distillation column.
DEBOTTLENECKING STUDY OF ETHANOL PLANT BEER COLUMN REBOILER
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted by the client, a grain based fuel ethanol production company, to perform a technical evaluation and debottlenecking study of their #1 Column Beer Column Reboiler at the facility. This evaluation included updating the Beer Column #1 simulation / heat and material balance followed by the evaluation of two identified potential modifications that may increase capacity / heat transfer in the reboiler.
The following tasks were performed:
- Development of the baseline information that governed subsequent process technical evaluation tasks. This information consisted of -
- Current Beer Column #1 operating data
- Process measurements associated with the reboiler
- Steam physical and chemical characterizations
- Reboiler specifications.
- Updating the existing CHEMCAD simulation model for Beer Column #1 by including the most recent operating data provided by the client which included updated heat and material balance information that matched the current performance of Beer Column #1. The simulation was updated and validated against the results of actual operating data. This up-to-date “base case” simulation model was used as a tool to assist in predicting what impact various modifications to the reboiler system may have.
- Modification of the “base case” simulation model of Beer Column #1 to study the effect of potential system changes that may help increase the reboiler heat duty / capacity. The system changes considered were the following:
- Increase the reboiler vapor outlet size
- Add a second reboiler outlet.
- Generation of a summary report that included the study basis, critical assumptions, predicted modification results, comments, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Alternative Fuel / Biofuel Production
- Process evaluation
- Distillation optimization
Copyright © 2017 Process Engineering Associates, LLC. All rights reserved.