Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) and process engineering support services to replace a fiberglass insulation manufacturing facility.
FIBERGLASS PIPE INSULATION MANUFACTURING FACILITY DETAIL DESIGN ASSISTANCE
The client, a major architect/engineering firm, was contracted by the ultimate client, a major U.S. manufacturing concern, to execute a detail design for a fiberglass pipe insulation facility to replace their plant that was destroyed by fire. The client initially contracted Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) to document the Process Hazard Analysis (PHA). The contract was later greatly expanded to include process engineering support services to the detail design effort.
Project tasks included:
- PHA facilitation and documentation
- Plant-wide mass and energy balance review
- P&ID development, revision, and maintenance
- Equipment and subsystem sizing and specifications preparation (pumps, RO water system, vacuum system, and process piping) and instrument data sheets preparation assistance
- Pipe machine vacuum system analysis and design including interfacing with the ultimate client, pipe machine manufacturer, and vacuum pump supplier to perform full-scale testing and determine system requirements
- Equipment database development and maintenance
- Equipment purchase cost estimates preparation.
A total of approximately 110 P&IDs were developed to depict the process. The plant required a unique application for vacuum system operation and required prototype testing along with unique engineering calculations. PROCESS performed on-site testing in Europe, technical observation, and assistance for determining vacuum system performance requirements for the fiberglass pipe insulation forming machines.
- Fiberglass Insulation Manufacturing
- Process Hazard Analysis (PHA)
- Vacuum system design
- Prototype testing
- Detail process design
- Front end engineering design (FEED)
- Basic engineering package (BEP)
Copyright © 2017 Process Engineering Associates, LLC. All rights reserved.