Develop detailed process design packages for multiple modular skid processes for the production of proprietary fragrance oils.
PROCESS DESIGN FOR MULTIPLE MODULAR CHEMICAL PRODUCTION SKIDS
The client is a manufacturer of a variety of encapsulated fragrance products and intermediates and contracted with Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) to develop detailed process design packages for four (4) production systems that could be submitted to a system fabricator for the detail design and construction of standardized modular skid packages to produce proprietary, polymeric fragrance oils. The skid packages would be installed in multiple world-wide production locations. The client initiated the effort to develop standardized modular production skids in an effort to improve consistency in the manufacturing process and product quality in general from site to site.
Project activities to this end included the following for all four systems:
- Detailed information review and design basis document preparation
- Process simulation / heat and material balance data development
- Execution of technical and economic alternatives evaluations for heat transfer / thermal curing equipment and in-situ viscosity measurement
- Preparation of issued for design (IFD) level process flow diagrams (PFDs)
- Preparation of process design level piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs) with a detailed process description
- Preparation of an equipment list with equipment sizing information which included clean-in-place (CIP) systems, jacketed reactor, agitators, pressurized hot water system, emulsifiers, plate and frame heat exchangers, CIP relief valves, positive displacement pumps, analytical instrumentation (viscosity, pH), solids handling, solid/liquid dispersion, automated control valves, etc.
- Preparation of a valve and instrument list with all process duty requirements and vendor preferences where applicable
- Assistance with preparation of a bid package for the design/build firm.
The client submitted the packages to five design build firms to solicit firm bids for the detail design and fabrication of the skids. Development of the process design information in detail up front ensured that all firms bidding were on the same information and allowed the client to obtain firm price quotes for the turnkey fabrication work.
- Fragrance Manufacturing
- Skidded systems process design
Copyright © 2017 Process Engineering Associates, LLC. All rights reserved.