Support the detailed process design of a new spray freeze animal feed additive production line.
ANIMAL FEED PRODUCTION LINE SPRAY FREEZE SYSTEM DETAILED PROCESS DESIGN SERVICES
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was tasked by the client, a world-wide chemical and nutraceutical manufacturer, to provide detailed process design services for a new spray freeze animal feed additive production system for its Midwest U.S. facility. The animal feed additive product containing amino acids.
Project tasks included:
- Final process design basis preparation, which involved the finalization of the baseline information that governed the development of the detailed process design package. PROCESS summarized this information and submitted it to the client for review and comment. Information contained in the design basis included capacity requirements and performance requirements.
- Preparation of updated P&IDs, which involved utilizing the information gathered and generated previously, as well as preliminary equipment details, to update the P&IDs for the new spray freeze system. The P&IDs depicted the primary unit operations, major process and utility streams, primary instrumentation and controls, and preliminary line sizing. The P&IDs also included preliminary details on demolition requirements using “cloud” notations on the P&IDs.
- Preparation of equipment, line, and instrument lists, which involved updating and/or developing the following IFD engineering deliverables: (1) an equipment list that showed the new process equipment that will be required, (2) a piping list (line list) that showed approximate sizes, as well as materials, for all major process and utilities piping sections, and (3) an instrument list that showed all the new major instruments and controls that will be required by the process.
- Equipment and instrument duty specifications preparation, which involved the development of process design level (duty) issued for design (IFD) specifications for all pieces of process equipment and process engineering requirements for each piece of equipment or instrument such that detailed specifications can be developed during detail engineering design. Process information contained in the equipment duty specifications included equipment name, number, description, capacity requirements, performance requirements, temperature and pressure requirements, primary materials of construction, operating range, primary instrumentation and controls requirements, and any ancillary equipment requirements. Equipment specifications required for this process included sack unloaders, sack loaders, rotary valves, dust collectors, vessels, pumps, sifters, screeners, magnets, pneumatic conveying systems, filter receivers, hoppers, etc. PROCESS worked with product vendors and the client to produce bid packages required for the key major pieces of equipment for the new spray freeze system.
- Participation in final HAZOP for the new process. This involved PROCESS' lead process engineer participating in a HAZOP facilitated by the client’s project personnel at the client's facility. The client then transmitted the list of recommendations to PROCESS, and PROCESS incorporated those recommendations into the system process design.
- Animal Feed Additive Manufacturing
- Detailed process design (FEL-3) support
Copyright © 2017 Process Engineering Associates, LLC. All rights reserved.