Provide process engineering design, project management, commissioning, and startup services for the installation of a new edible oil deodorizer system.
EDIBLE OIL DEODORIZER SYSTEM DETAIL PROCESS DESIGN AND STARTUP
The client, an edible oil manufacturing facility, contracted with Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) to provide lead process and project engineering services in the design, installation, and startup of a new edible oil deodorizer system (a vendor proprietary specialty vacuum tower). PROCESS was assigned the following project responsibilities:
- Review and verify the vendor process flow diagrams (PFDs) and perform a facility utility evaluation to determine the impact of the new system on existing plant facilities such as steam, cooling water, compressed air, nitrogen, and waste treatment.
- Develop new and markup existing facility piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs) for the complete edible oil deodorizer system. PROCESS maintained ownership of the P&IDs during the project until final as-builts were completed.
- Prepare equipment lists, valve lists, and instrument lists for the project.
- Prepare equipment specifications for ancillary equipment including condensate return system, steam pressure regulators, utility stations, and steam tracing.
- Identify and manage all the process and utility tie-ins for the system. Tie-ins were identified on the vendor P&IDs and existing plant P&IDs. PROCESS marked all tie-in and isolation points in the field and provided on-site assistance during the construction phase.
- Facilitate and participate in a process hazards analysis (PHA) held to analyze any potential hazards associated with the edible oil deodorizer process.
- Develop commissioning plans for the new system. Testing packages were generated specifying procedures for testing and flushing each process system. The test plans included marked up P&IDs identifying temporary piping modifications (e.g. blinds) and specific parts of each system to be tested. Line pressure testing criteria was established and added to the line list to simplify the testing process.
- Develop the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) and Work Instructions (WI) for the new deodorizer system. The vendor manual and functional description were used to generate the SOP in the client’s format.
The facility is FDA regulated and follows cGMP guidelines. The new deodorizer was installed as part of an overall facility expansion project.
- Foods and Beverage Production
- Process design
- Plant expansion project management
- Operating procedure development
- Process commissioning
- Process startup
Copyright © 2017 Process Engineering Associates, LLC. All rights reserved.