Provide engineering support of the conceptual design of new sanitary sewer, groundwater, and process treatment systems at a U.S. Government owned facility.
NUCLEAR FACILITIES WASTE TREATMENT SYSTEMS CONCEPTUAL DESIGN SUPPORT
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted by the client, a multi discipline engineering firm, to provide process engineering support for the Integrated Facility Disposition Project (IFDP). One of the IFDP objectives is to reduce the environmental liability of contaminated buildings, groundwater and soil at two sites in the Oak Ridge Reservation: the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and the Y-12 National Security Complex (Y-12). To accomplish the objective, reconfiguration tasks included relocation, ‘right sizing’, and addition of new facilities. The primary project task for PROCESS was to provide support of the conceptual design of new sanitary sewer, groundwater, and process treatment systems at ORNL; and groundwater/process waste treatment system(s) at Y‑12.
Project elements included:
- Review of customer mass balance and process flow documentation
- Field review of existing facilities that are targeted for replacement and/or modifications
- Vendor and literature investigations to identify available equipment
- Preparation of conceptual process flow information for new and modified systems
- Preparation of process design information to be included in the IFDP conceptual design (or CD-1) documentation package
Process areas/technologies included:
- Wastewater treatment systems:
- Ion exchange
- Government Research and National Security Complex
- Groundwater waste treatment system design
- Process water waste treatment system design
Copyright © 2017 Process Engineering Associates, LLC. All rights reserved.