Project SynopsisDevelop a process design package for a NOx removal system at an agrochemicals manufacturing facility.
NITROGEN OXIDES EMISSIONS REMOVAL SYSTEM DESIGN PACKAGE PREPARATION
The client, a regional detail design firm, was contracted by the ultimate client, a multi-product facility that uses natural gas to produce a wide variety of industrial and agrochemical products including anhydrous ammonia, nitric acid, ammonium nitrate, urea, and urea ammonium nitrate. The client contracted with Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) to develop a design package for a system for the capture and control of nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions from a tank truck and rail car loading station using hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and for the recovery of nitric acid (HNO3) in the scrubbing liquid.
Specific project tasks included the following:
- Preparation of a design basis document for the emissions capture system and NOx scrubber and HNO3 recovery system
- Development of a comprehensive mass and energy balance using PROCESS‘ licensed commercial computer process simulation software
- Preparation of a process flow diagram
- Preparation of a preliminary piping and instrumentation diagram (P&ID) showing all required piping and instrumentation/controls as well as line sizing and materials of construction
- Preparation of equipment duty specification for the NOx scrubber with high efficiency mist eliminator, submittal of the specification to a scrubber vendor with a request for budget level price quote, and review of the bid provided by the vendor
- Collaboration with a scrubber packing vendor to confirm column height; providing vendor sizing calculations to the client
- Preparation of preliminary pump specifications (recycle and chemical feed)
- Generation of blower hydraulic calculations around the emissions capture system, scrubber system, and discharge piping to the exhaust stack using CHEMCAD
- Documentation of system process control, describing in words how the system is intended to operate.
- Agrochemicals Production
- Process design package preparation