Perform a PHA of various acids systems at an ammunitions production facility.
PROCESS HAZARD ANALYSIS (PHA) OF AN AMMUNITION MANUFACTURING PLANT – ACIDS AND ANCILLARY SYSTEMS
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) provided engineers experienced in process safety and risk management who were part of a PHA team for the client, an ammunitions plant. The team performed a PHA of several processes at the plant to help the client satisfy the PHA requirements as stated in paragraph (e) of OSHA’s process safety management (PSM) regulation, 29 CFR 1910.119. The objective of the PHA was to discover potential accidents (i.e., exposure hazards, inadvertent explosions) that could directly impact employees. Process documented the PHA to reasonably fulfill all pertinent regulatory requirements.
The following process areas of the plant were included in the PHA:
- Buildings A & B – Sulfuric and Oleum Storage
- Buildings C & D – Pyro Storage and Fume Abatement System
- Building E – Strong Nitric Acid Storage
- Building F – Nitric Acid Concentrator and Sulfuric Acid Concentrator System
- Building G – Acid Mix and Weigh House
- Building H – Acid Storage
- Buildings I & J – Nitric and Oleum Unloading.
- Munitions Production
- PHA facilitation, scribing, and reporting