Develop a preliminary process design to a startup technology provider company for a proposed biomass refining process designed to produce a slate of glucose-derived adhesives.
BIOMASS REFINING SYSTEM PRELIMINARY PROCESS DESIGN
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted by the client, a physical and biological research company, to develop a preliminary process design for a proposed biomass refining process designed to produce a slate of glucose-derived adhesives. This process utilized a patented mechanical process to break down cellulosic material as opposed to using the more traditional microbial reactor approach. The primary purposes of this design were to establish a baseline process feasibility and to provide a basis for capital appropriation.
PROCESS performed the following tasks in support of this effort:
- Based on information provided by the client, PROCESS developed a process simulation model of the proposed process using its licensed commercial computer simulation software, CHEMCAD.
- Developed a process flow diagram (PFD) with mass and energy balance (MEB) stream tables based on the CHEMCAD model results.
The project results and recommendations were summarized in a letter report to the client at the end of the project.
- Biomass Chemicals Production
- Preliminary process design creation
- Engineering support for startup technology providers