Develop an FEL-0/1 preliminary process design package for both the synthesis and finishing operations for a blue pigment as well as generate a series of comparable cost estimates to either relocate the systems or replace them in other locations.
The client, a world-wide producer of pigments and chemicals, produced a blue pigment using a combination of tolled and internal manufacturing unit operations at a facility in the US. The synthesis process was tolled, and the finishing operation was performed in-house. The facility has been sold and the client is evaluating options for producing the blue pigment at other locations. Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted by the client’s corporate office to develop an FEL-0/1 preliminary process design package for both the synthesis and finishing operations and to generate a series of comparable cost estimates to either relocate the systems or replace them in other locations.
Project tasks included:
- Preparation of a Basis of Estimate (BOE) document for both the synthesis and finishing operations that defined equipment/systems to be relocated or replaced for three (3) configurations at four (4) potential locations (domestic and international), for a total of twelve (12) cost estimate cases. In addition, for equipment requiring sizing calculations (where no sizing was available or the system required resizing), sizing bases were defined in this document.
- Preparation of a preliminary Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) for both processes that depicted the overall process flow and all major equipment to be included in the new or relocated systems.
- Preparation of a preliminary Equipment List showing both existing (retained), new, and relocated equipment, with sizing and materials of construction information. For the synthesis process, equipment sizing was mostly taken from the existing P&IDs and assumed to be accurate and capable of producing the desired capacity. However, PROCESS performed sizing calculations for the raw material storage systems, chlorine vaporizer and delivery system, reactor pre-scrubber system, and the wastewater metals removal system. For the finishing process (no P&IDs existed), PROCESS performed sizing calculations for the tray dryers, receiving bins, mill, blender, packaging system, and dust collectors.
- Preparation of a preliminary motor list to define MCC requirements.
- Generation of a budget-level total installed cost estimate using Aspen ICARUS to engineer, procure, and construct the modifications. This effort involved generating equipment purchase cost estimates within Aspen for standard equipment (e.g. reactors, tanks, pumps etc.) as well as interfacing with key vendors on specialty equipment such as the pre-scrubber, chlorine vaporizer, wastewater metals removal system, tray dryers, mill, blender, packaging system, and dust collectors.
The project was completed on time and under budget and the client is using this information internally to make decisions on how to proceed with the project.
Pigment and Dye Manufacturing
- FEL-0/1 preliminary process design
- Process relocation evaluation support
- Develop multi-scenario CAPEX estimates.