Perform an FEL-2 detail process engineering design for a major expansion at a catalyst manufacturing facility.
CATALYST PRODUCTION PLANT EXPANSION DETAILED PROCESS DESIGN (FEL-2)
The client, a world-wide chemical and materials manufacturing concern, contracted Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) to assist with developing a detailed process design (FEL-2) package for a major capacity expansion project at their catalyst manufacturing facility in the U.S. The purpose of this effort was to provide a detailed process design and an installed capital cost estimate for the expansion. This involved evaluating equipment at the future expansion rate in many different unit operations within the catalyst production facility. In addition, an assessment of the impact of the expansion on the site’s environmental permitting was also completed.
PROCESS completed the following project tasks:
- Updated the production facility’s existing Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs) to ‘As-Built’ drawings. This included validating and updating the Distributed Controls System (DCS) controls and interlocks to reflect what is actually installed in the field and the control logic.
- Information review and preliminary process design basis preparation.
- Development of a comprehensive, detailed mass and energy balance for the proposed expanded process.
- Process Flow Diagram (PFD) and Process Description preparation, depicting the primary unit operations and major process and utility streams.
- Development of an anticipated/estimated emissions summary for the expansion at maximum design operating conditions, including a written commentary on current regulations, existing permit limits, etc. relative to the performance at expanded capacity.
- Preliminary P&IDs development for the expansion. These drawings also included tie-in requirements.
- Equipment list and specification development detailing process requirements, preliminary specifications, and sizing information for all new major process equipment. Equipment included material handling systems, tanks, reactors, ventilation systems, etc.
- Development of an instrument and valve list detailing process and controls requirements for the expansion.
- Line list development that included all new process lines required to meet the expansion rates.
- Generated an initial and conceptual equipment layout sketch of the new system depicting the approximate locations and sizes of, and recommended spaces between the process primary unit operations.
- Managed a subcontracted detailed engineering firm to generate a +/-30% installed capital cost estimate for completing design, procurement, and construction of the facility expansion.
- Provided a professional evaluation on the potential process risks associated with the design and/or operation of the future expansion.
The above project deliverables were supplied to the client on time and under the budgeted cost.
- Catalyst Manufacturing
- Process design
- Cost estimating