Provide design services for the development of a cellulosic ethanol demonstration plant in support of a proposal to the Department of Energy. Simulation diagrams: Pulverizing and Delignification, Bioreactor Section
CELLULOSIC ETHANOL DEMONSTRATION PLANT DESIGN
The client owns and operates multiple commercial ethanol facilities and has developed a new method for converting straw and other cellulosic materials to ethanol. Process Engineering Associates (PROCESS) was contracted by the client to provide design services for the development of a cellulosic ethanol demonstration plant.
Project tasks included the following:
- Developing a CHEMCAD simulation model based on bench-scale data provided by the client
- Producing a mass and energy balance of the process
- Determining what equipment would be needed to convert this process from a pilot-plant scale process to a demonstration plant operation
- Developing process flow diagrams (PFDs)
- Developing piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs)
- Preparing an equipment list and getting budget quotes for the equipment
PROCESS had to accommodate an accelerated schedule for this project due to the client needing this information for a Department of Energy (DOE) proposal deadline.
- Alternative fuels
- Process modeling
- Rapid preliminary process design
- Pilot-plant to demonstration plant scale up