Project SynopsisPerform a Dust Hazards Analysis (including engineering review and risk assessment) of a petroleum coke conveyor system at a refinery.
DUST HAZARDS ANALYSIS OF A COKE CONVEYOR SYSTEM IN A REFINERY DELAYED COKER UNIT
The client operates a petroleum refinery with a Delayed Coker Unit. This Delayed Coker Unit uses a system of belt conveyors and associated equipment to move coke nodules from the coke drums to a truck loadout station. In the process of moving the coke nodules, combustible dust is generated. Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted to perform a Dust Hazards Analysis (DHA) of this process to help the client meet the DHA requirements in NFPA 652 and 654.
Specific tasks for this project included:
- An engineering review of the coke conveyor system, which entailed a site visit and field walkdown to collect information regarding the system’s operating rates, layout, and equipment and instrumentation features. The information collected was then utilized in a pre-DHA evaluation of the system’s compliance with specific requirements in NFPA 652, 654, 68 and 69. The results of the engineering review, which considered startup, normal operating, shutdown, and emergency shutdown operations, were summarized in a short report that identified which areas, operations, and equipment presented a potential dust flame, deflagration, or explosion hazard, along with recommendations for addressing any deficiencies identified.
- A risk assessment meeting was performed at the client’s refinery that included members of the client’s operations, maintenance, and management teams. PROCESS‘ personnel included a DHA facilitator/scribe, as well as the engineer who had performed the process engineering review. This DHA was configured to meet NFPA 652 requirements and documented combustible-dust related hazards. A risk assessment based on the client’s preference for methodology was provided for the hazards identified.
- Petroleum coke production
- Process engineering dust hazards assessment
- Performance of Dust Hazards Analysis
- Design of dust control systems for processes that produce hazardous dust.