Project SynopsisPerform PSV sizing for an esters reactor.
SAFETY VALVE SIZING PROJECT FOR ESTER KETTLE REACTOR
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was subcontracted by the client, a regional detail engineering firm, to perform sizing services for a safety relief device associated with an ester kettle reactor for a facility that produces film and various specialty materials. As a part of this project the following tasks were accomplished:
- Performed sizing calculations and provided custom documentation for 1 pressure safety valve (PSV)
- Performed hydraulic calculations to adequately size inlet and outlet piping for the new PSV
- Developed a process level specification sheet for the new PSV device.
PROCESS utilized its licensed commercial simulation software’s (CHEMCAD’s) hydraulics package and chemical/physical component database, along with its proprietary in-house relief device capacity computer program with calculations based on the guidelines in American Petroleum Institute (API) Standards 520 and 521, to determine the pressure relief requirements for this application.
PROCESS supplied the client with a customized pressure relief device (PRD) sizing documentation package that included safety device calculations and relief valve equipment datasheets that could be used to obtain quotes from vendors. Process also suggested a specific relief device represented in vendor literature.
- Specialty Batch Chemical Manufacturing
- PSV evaluation and sizing