Evaluate and redesign a set of multi-effect falling film evaporators.
ETHANOL SYSTEM FALLING FILM EVAPORATORS DESIGN REVIEW AND SEPARATORS DESIGN
The client is a designer of small-scale ethanol facilities. Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted to review the proposed design of several falling film evaporators for recovering heat and concentrating the resultant syrup.
Project tasks included the following:
- Simulating the 3-train evaporator system
- Rating the heat exchangers using CC-THERM
- Designing the accompanying vapor-liquid separators.
The original sizing did not adequately account for the increasing viscosity and heat transfer coefficient in the second and third stages. PROCESS redesigned the evaporators.
- Alternative Fuels Production
- Heat exchanger analysis and design