Develop a preliminary evaluation of a proposed pilot plant to produce Potassium Acid Saccharate by nitric acid oxidation of a glucose/dextrose solution.
GLUCOSE/DEXTROSE OXIDATION PILOT PLANT PROCESS EVALUATION
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted by the client, a chemical production company, to develop a preliminary evaluation of a proposed pilot plant to produce Potassium Acid Saccharate by nitric acid oxidation of a glucose/dextrose solution. The primary purpose of this evaluation was to establish process feasibility and provide a basis for subsequent work to develop a design for a pilot, demonstration, or commercial facility.
PROCESS performed the following tasks in support of this project:
- Based on information provided by the client, PROCESS developed a process simulation model of the proposed pilot plant using its licensed commercial computer process simulation software, CHEMCAD.
- Developed a process flow diagram (PFD) with mass and energy balance (MEB) stream tables based on the CHEMCAD model calculations.
- Identified areas for process improvement in the separation of excess nitric acid from the final product by using the model to optimize the nitric acid recovery.
PROCESS summarized the evaluation results and recommendations in a letter report to the client.
- Intermediate Food Chemicals
- Pilot plant evaluation
- Intermediate food chemicals process improvements