Perform a technical and regulatory evaluation of the facility thermal oxidizer and flare units, i.e. evaluate current operation of the units versus regulatory guidelines for operations and performance.
BATCH CHEMICAL PRODUCTION FACILITY THERMAL OXIDIZER AND FLARE EVALUATION
The client owns and operates a batch specialty organic chemical production facility. Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted by the client to perform a technical and regulatory evaluation of the facility thermal oxidizer and flare units. More specifically, PROCESS evaluated the current operation of the units versus regulatory guidelines for operations and performance. The project included the following tasks:
- Initial site visit for collecting existing engineering information for the thermal oxidizer and flare units and data on the vent gas streams to the units
- Development of physical and chemical characterizations of the vent gas streams to the units for the purpose of bracketing flow and heat input to the units and establishing a process evaluation basis
- Development of regulatory evaluation bases for the thermal oxidizer and flare
- Preparation of residence time and combustion gas composition calculations for the thermal oxidizer for the purpose of comparing current operation to regulatory requirements for operation
- Preparation of gas heating value and velocity calculations for the flare for the purpose of comparing current operation to regulatory requirements for operation
- Preparation of a project report presenting project results and conclusions, including recommendations for maintaining compliance with applicable environmental regulations.
Computer process simulations were developed using licensed commercial process simulation software to model operation of the vent system, vent gas wet scrubbers, and for execution of the combustion calculations associated with the thermal oxidizer (via Gibbs free energy reactor). Based on the evaluation, PROCESS concluded that both the thermal oxidizer and flare were operating in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Batch Organic Chemical Production
- Thermal Oxidizer evaluation
- Regulatory compliance analysis