Provide process engineering design support for technology selection, specification preparation, detail process design support, and test support for a specialized gas capture system related to isotope separation research.
The client, an engineering company, subcontracted Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) to provide process engineering design support for technology selection, specification preparation, detail process design support, and test support for a gas capture system for the ultimate client, a U.S. National Laboratory. Managed by government contractor, the ultimate client performs basic research in isotopes separation processes supporting research, medical, and industrial applications.
The gas capture system is a semi-continuous process divided into four sub-modules. Three sub-modules were furnished with a feed system, and two identical gas capture systems including a refrigeration system and heating system. Each module could operate in a feed mode, a regeneration mode, and a stand-by mode. A fourth sub-module provided a dry vacuum pump and other support systems for the other three sub-modules, all fitting within a very compact existing operating space.
Specific tasks for this project included:
- Performing an alternative analysis to determine the best process(es) to employ given the gases being studied
- Leading the process design for a design/build procurement package based on the down-selected withdrawal process including Process Flow Diagram (PFD) development.
- Conduct a vendor survey to identify candidate vendors to participate in the design/build procurement.
- Detailed process design support, including:
- Process Description development
- Process Control Narrative development
- Piping and Instrumentation Diagram (P&ID) development
- Equipment, Instrument, Manual Valve and Engineered Items Lists preparation
- Utilities Summary preparation
- HAZOP Review
- Design calculations preparation
- Instrument Data Sheets preparation
- Vendor Package reviews
- Interdisciplinary reviews
- Supported factory acceptance testing and Functional Test Report preparation.
The project resulted in the design and installation of a skid-mounted gas capture system that was successfully operated at the National Laboratory.
Nuclear Materials Research
- Process design related to nuclear materials
- Design of modular skid processes
- Detail engineering phase project support
- Process startup support.