Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was subcontracted by the client, an international engineering firm, to serve as Subject Matter Expert during the development of a Process Design Package covering the Polymerization section for a Gas-Phase Polyethylene Plant for a confidential client. Raw materials (ethylene, co-monomer, etc.) are purified before they are sent to the gas-phase polymerization reactor, where they are converted to granular polyethylene. Unreacted raw materials are recovered from the product and recycled to the reactor. The granular product is then delivered to the Finishing section to produce fully-formulated polyethylene products in pelleted form.
As part of this effort, Process assisted client personnel as they prepared the following deliverables for the Gas-Phase Polyethylene Process Polymerization area:
- Equipment Datasheets – Define the performance requirements for the major equipment items and package equipment systems
- PFDs – Show all the major equipment items and package equipment systems at a high level, plus the major piping and principal process controls that interconnect them
- P&IDs – Define the details of all the piping, instruments and minor equipment items that interconnect the major equipment items and package equipment systems
- Input to the Project Instrument Database – Define the performance requirements for the in-line instruments and valves, and process analyzers that are outside the scope of the package equipment systems
- Relief Device Specifications – Define the sizes and sizing basis for the relief devices that are outside the scope of the package equipment systems
- Flare Load Summary – Quantify the sizing scenarios for OSBL flare and flare headers
- Process Description – Used in combination with the PFDs to gain a high-level understanding of the process.