Project SynopsisEvaluate various process options and the suitability of an out-of-service plant, for the production of USP food-grade glycerin.
GLYCERIN REFINING PROCESS DEVELOPMENT SUPPORT
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted by the client, an energy development company, to support process development efforts for a United States Pharmacopeia (USP) glycerin production facility. The client was considering various technologies and evaluating their use within an existing decommissioned plant. Specifically, PROCESS completed the following tasks:
- Performed a site visit, in support of the due diligence process, to assess the usability of existing assets for the production of purified food grade glycerin (glycerol).
- Evaluated five crude glycerine refining systems and provided opinions as to the benefits and disadvantages of each system.
- Developed process schematics and performed initial sizing estimates based on known operating conditions to provide an initial screen of existing equipment suitable for re-use. Preliminary mass and energy balances were completed using PROCESS’ licensed simulation software.
- Assisted in the determination of the minimum data necessary to be generated from further bench scale studies.
- Food Additive Production
- Alternative Fuels Co-Products
- Plant site evaluation due diligence support
- Refining system alternatives screening
- Process assessment support for investment company