Project SynopsisProcess designs for process vent and emissions control systems for a batch chemical production plant.
BATCH CHEMICAL PRODUCTION PLANT PROCESS VENT AND EMISSIONS CONTROL SYSTEMS PROCESS DESIGNS
The client contracted Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) to execute process designs for process vent and emissions control systems for the following in their batch chemical production plant:
- Building 1 – A new production facility currently being designed for the plant
- Building 2 – An existing processing/finishing area requiring a capacity upgrade
- Building 3 – An existing production facility that was being converted to a processing/finishing area.
The following process design tasks were completed for each of the three designs:
- Process design basis preparation
- Computer process simulation
- Emissions control system alternatives evaluation
- Process flow diagram (PFD) preparation
- Process control system design
- Equipment specifications preparation
- Equipment vendor bid reviews.
Each process design basis consisted primarily of unit operations offgas flow rates and chemical characterizations as well as performance requirements for the emissions control systems. The computer process simulation of the entire vent system was developed using licensed commercial process simulation software to determine the resultant stream flow rate and composition for the offgas to the control device as well as for design/sizing of the system piping and induced draft fan. After the composite offgas stream flow rate and chemical composition was determined, technical and economic evaluations of technically-feasible emissions control technologies were performed and the best alternative selected. Where applicable, the process simulation software was then used to design/size the selected control device.
The results of the computer process simulation were summarized in the form of a vent / emissions control system PFD. Control system designs were then executed for the fan, emissions control device, and to help maintain hydraulic balance in the vent system. Applicable controls were represented on the PFD. PROCESS then prepared equipment specifications for the fan and emissions control device that were detailed to the extent that equipment procurement could be executed. The specifications were then transmitted to qualified equipment vendors, vendor bids were reviewed, and a preferred vendor selected for each application.
The following emissions control devices were selected for these applications:
- Building 1 – Fiber-bed filter for the removal of NaOH and KOH; packed scrubber for the removal of HF
- Building 2 – Packed scrubber for the removal of HF, HCl, and HNO3HNO3
- Building 3 – Packed scrubber for the removal of HF, HCl, and HNO3HNO3
- Batch Chemical
- Process design
- Computer simulation
- PFD preparation
- Equipment specification
- Controls design
- Basic Engineering Design (BED)