Develop an FEL-3 detailed process design package for a novel magnesium extraction process and provide the startup client with continued process engineering support throughout detail engineering, construction, and startup.
The client is a startup company that has a novel method for producing high-quality, clean magnesium. The client wanted to pilot test their proprietary reactor concept for extracting magnesium and contracted with Process Engineering International, LLC (PROCESS) to prepare a process design package for the pilot test system and to advise them on process engineering portions of the entire design/build project.
PROCESS prepared a detailed FEL-3 process design package and worked with the client to develop the following:
- Pilot plant process design basis
- Preliminary project schedule
- Process flow diagram (PFD) with supporting mass & energy balance information
- Process description
- Piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs, issued for approval and issued for design)
- Process controls description
- Equipment, line, and instrument lists
- List of long lead time equipment
- Conceptual 3-d model
- Equipment and key instrumentation duty specifications
- Request for proposal, technical portions for select equipment and instrumentation
- Installed capital cost estimate.
Once the process design package was completed, PROCESS transformed from a design role to a process consultant role and helped guide the process engineering portion of the project for the client throughout the entire design/build process to achieve the goal of constructing and operating a successful pilot plant facility.
PROCESS also performed a remote Hazards Analysis (HAZOP) and Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA) for the pilot plant design to produce a letter report with recommendations for enhancements.
When the pilot system was constructed, PROCESS continued to provide insight for process engineering challenges associated with the startup and operation of the pilot plant. P&IDs were transformed into “as-built” P&IDs after construction and PROCESS visited the operating site to provide impressions of the pilot facility’s operations.
- Process scale-up design
- Pilot-plant design
- Detail engineering, construction, and startup support.