Provide complete equipment specification and rating packages for all of the distillation columns and scrubbing towers for a monomer production facility.
MONOMER PRODUCTION FACILITY COLUMN EQUIPMENT DESIGN AND RATING
The client owns and operates a major chemical manufacturing facility that produces organic specialty and non-specialty chemical products. Process Engineering Associates (PROCESS) was contracted by the client to complete equipment specification and rating packages for all of the distillation columns and scrubbing towers for a monomer production facility. More specifically, Process was asked to: (1) design and prepare column specification packages, and (2) to prepare column rating packages for existing, unused columns that will be reused as part of the new production facility.
PROCESS completed the following tasks in support of the specification scope of work:
- Sizing of the physical equipment using hydraulic information provided by the client and Koch Glitsch Tower software
- Designing and detailing of the trays, packing, column internals, and feed devices for the columns, including estimating HETP for packed columns
- Calculating the sump residence time and liquid inventory of each column
- Developing a nozzle schedule for each column, including determining nozzle locations, elevations, orientations, and sizes
- Developing sketches, including column elevations, nozzle orientations, and skirt, sump, target plate, insert pipe, and tray details
PROCESS completed the following tasks in support of the rating scope of work:
- Extracting the details of the existing columns from drawings provided by the client and by contacting plant personnel
- Rating of the physical equipment using hydraulic information provided by the client and Koch Glitsch Tower software
- Determining if the existing packing will provide adequate separation, including estimating the HETP
- Designing and detailing of new liquid distributors to handle the new process in the existing columns
- Designing and detailing new column sections to be added to the existing columns to provide additional separation
A total of 7 new equipment specification packages and 5 rating packages were completed by PROCESS during this project.
- Chemical Manufacturing
- Monomer production
- Distillation column design
- Specifying process equipment ratings and details