Project SynopsisPerformed preliminary process designs, for both demonstration and commercial scale facilities, using the conversion of biomass derived from municipal solid waste (MSW) to synfuel through biomass gasification and subsequent novel Fischer-Tropsch conversion from syngas.
SYNFUEL PRODUCTION FACILITY PRELIMINARY PROCESS DESIGN
The client possesses a novel Fischer-Tropsch synthesis technology they intend to use for the production of synthetically manufactured fuel (synfuel). Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted by the client to prepare preliminary process designs, for both demonstration and commercial scale facilities, using this system. Specifically, preliminary designs were developed for the conversion of biomass derived from municipal solid waste (MSW) to synfuel via biomass gasification and subsequent Fischer-Tropsch synthesis from syngas. Systems included in the designs include Gasification, Tar Reforming, Syngas Conditioning, Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis, Synfuel Purification, Heat Recovery, Power Generation, and Auxiliary Utilities. PROCESS performed the following tasks in support of this effort:
- Mass and energy balance models were developed using PROCESS‘ licensed commercial process simulation software for the synfuel demonstration and commercial plants. Data provided by the client were incorporated into the models to establish biomass and syngas conversions and product distributions. Syngas conditioning and synfuel purification systems were added as required to meet the desired product specifications. Heat recovery systems were then integrated into the process to produce steam and power.
- Process flow diagrams (PFDs) depicting primary unit operations, utility systems, and major process streams were prepared.
- Process and process controls descriptions describing the unit’s processes and general control system requirements were prepared.
- Equipment lists and estimates for the total capital cost were developed.
- Preliminary operating conditions for a commercial scale hydrocracker were established and the estimated cost of the unit was determined.
PROCESS assembled and formatted this data for inclusion in the client’s grant proposal requesting federal funds to construct the demonstration facility.
- Syngas / Synthetic Fuels / Gas To Liquids (GTL)
- Alternative Fuels
- Syngas processing
- Front end engineering design (FEED)
- Waste recycling process design