Project SynopsisDevelop process design information for the Outside Battery Limits systems needed to support a new Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system at a metal catalyst manufacturing facility.
SELECTIVE CATALYTIC REDUCTION SYSTEM OSBL PROCESS ENGINEERING DESIGN SUPPORT
The client owns and operates a facility that manufactures metal based catalysts for a variety of applications. The client contracted with Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) to develop the process engineering design information for the Outside Battery Limits (OSBL) processes needed to support a new Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system the client has selected for a new production line.
Specific PROCESS project tasks included:
- Development of a design basis, identifying the baseline information to govern subsequent process design tasks.
- Preparation of a Mass and Energy Balance for the SCR and the OSBL systems using process simulation software; and subsequently the generation of a Process Flow Diagram (PFD).
- Using the above information, PROCESS executed a high-level technical and economical evaluation of a heat recovery heat exchanger. The evaluation involved developing budget-level capital and operating costs for the exchanger and compared that against the potential reduction in energy usage if the exchanger was installed and used.
- Development of Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs) and an Instrument List.
- Equipment Duty Specifications were generated for OSBL equipment. An Equipment List was also prepared that contained OSBL equipment details, and the utility requirements for each piece of equipment was identified on this list.
- A preliminary guideline document for the raw material handling and storage requirements of Aqueous Ammonia was generated for the client. This document utilized recognized and generally accepted good engineering practices (RAGAGEP), standards, guidelines, and input from PROCESS‘ direct experience for the safe operation of Aqueous Ammonia systems.
- Metal Catalyst Production
- OSBL systems process design
- Heat recovery process alternatives evaluation
- Ammonia handling guidelines development.