Project SynopsisOn-site refinery process engineering support and refinery operations training.
PETROLEUM REFINERY PROCESS ENGINEERING SUPPORT AND ASSISTANCE
The client operates a petroleum refinery in the U.S. as part of a circuit of refineries in the U.S. and throughout the world. Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted to perform several on-site process engineering tasks in support of refinery operations. More specifically, PROCESS completed the following tasks:
- Technical support for Hydrocracker Unit startup
- Daily process engineering support for the Crude Unit, Fluid Coker Unit, Naphtha Hydrotreater, and Distillate Hydrotreater
- Technical training for process engineers in the Crude Unit, Fluid Coker Unit, and the Hydroprocessing Units.
Hydrocracker Unit startup activities included evaluation of reactor catalyst technical information, technical oversight of catalyst loading, technical support for Hydrocracker startup and reactor catalyst activation, and execution of an initial start-of-run (SOR) performance evaluation.
Daily process engineering support activities included daily monitoring of unit critical process parameters, troubleshooting process upsets, interfacing with the operating teams, and attending monthly reviews with refinery managers.
Process engineer technical training involved training new refinery process engineers on the critical process parameters to be monitored for each unit, heat and material balance generation, process engineering calculations associated with each unit, unit-specific troubleshooting, guidelines for risk assessment of unit discrepancies, catalyst activity monitoring, heat exchanger monitoring, and other unit-specific aspects important to operation.
- Petroleum Refining
- On-site engineering support
- Startup technical assistance
- Technical training of engineering staff