Technical and economic evaluation and process design for the feed preparation system at a greenfield metal powders refining facility.
METAL POWDERS REFINING FACILITY FEED PREPARATION SYSTEM ALTERNATIVES EVALUATION AND PROCESS DESIGN
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was subcontracted by the client to perform a technical and economic evaluation and process design for the feed preparation system for a greenfield metal powders refining facility.
Evaluation and design project tasks included:
- Process design basis development
- Technical and economic evaluations for unit operation alternatives
- Mass and energy balance and process flow diagrams (PFDs) preparation
- Capital cost estimate preparation
- Equipment duty specifications preparation.
Development of a process design basis was undertaken for the purpose of defining feed preparation system primary operating goals, parameters, and constraints. A conceptual process flow sheet was then prepared for the purpose of identifying the primary unit operations associated with the feed preparation system. Alternative technologies were identified and technically-screened for the following feed preparation system major unit operations:
- Metal powders blending/mixing
- Material classification
- Spray drying
- Materials handling/transport/storage.
Technically-screened alternatives for the above unit operations were carried forward for detailed technical and economic evaluations. Once the best alternatives were identified, detailed mass and energy balance calculations were performed for the system. The mass and energy balance information was presented, and depiction of the feed preparation system primary unit operations was made via the preparation of PFDs for the system. A capital cost estimate was then prepared for the system, based primarily on cost proposals received from qualified equipment manufacturers. Finally, equipment duty specifications were developed for the feed preparation system primary unit operations.
- Metals Refining
- Best suited technology evaluations
- Metal powders blending/mixing, classification, spray drying, transport and storage systems designs
- Mass and Energy balance determination
- Process flow diagram (PFD) preparation
- Cost estimating
- Front end engineering design (FEED)
- Basic engineering design package (BEP)