Project SynopsisDevelop an FEL-2 level process design for a compounding line in the production of a specialty polymer.
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted by the client, a US chemical manufacturing concern, to develop an FEL-2 level process design for a Polymer Compounding Line. The project scope covered these Inside Battery Limits (ISBL) facilities for transforming polymer base resins to their final, formulated, and pelleted form:
- Polymer Base Resin and Additive Handling and Mixing
- Extrusion and Pelleting
- Final Product Classifying and Packaging (Bagging and Bulk Loading)
- Extruder Vent Handling and Dust Collection.
The client provided the desired final product formulations and example process design information for a similar plant already in operation. The process development work included applying this basic process information to prepare the following FEL-2 deliverables:
- Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs)
- Material Balances – Summarize the flows of Polymer base resins and additives to the Extruder on both an hourly average and batchwise basis, and the expected flows around the Extruder Vent Handling system
- Equipment List – Identify all major equipment items and their anticipated performance requirements
- Equipment Arrangement Drawings – Present how the major equipment items can be laid out within the existing building based on typical vendor data (vertical stackup and plan-view layout)
- Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs)
- Equipment Datasheets – Detail performance requirements, operating conditions, and material properties for major equipment items including loss in weight feeders, hoppers, conveying systems, pelletizers, etc.
- Process design
- Polymer processing equipment design and layout
- Process dust collection system design.