Provide process engineering Subject Matter Expert support to an EPC engineering company during detail engineering of a new Polypropylene production facility.
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was subcontracted by the client, an international engineering firm, to serve as a Subject Matter Expert during the detail design phase for a finishing section of a Polypropylene production process for a confidential operating company client. Raw materials (propylene, co-monomer, etc.) are purified before they are sent to the gas-phase polymerization reactor, where they are converted to granular polypropylene. Unreacted raw materials are recovered from the product and recycled to the reactor. The granular product is then delivered to the finishing section to produce fully-formulated polypropylene products in pelleted form.
PROCESS worked several months on-site in the client’s U.S. Gulf Coast engineering office alongside the detail engineering project team. As part of this effort, PROCESS assisted client personnel with the following deliverables as they performed detail design of the finishing area of the Polypropylene process:
- Equipment Datasheets – Reviewed the performance requirements for the major equipment items and packaged equipment systems
- P&IDs – Reviewed the details of all the piping, instruments, and minor equipment items that interconnect the major equipment items and packaged equipment systems
- Project Instrument Database – Reviewed the performance requirements for the in-line instruments and valves, and process analyzers that are outside the scope of the packaged equipment systems
- Relief Device Specifications – Reviewed the sizes and sizing basis for the relief devices that are outside the scope of the packaged equipment systems
- Flare Load Summary – Quantified the sizing scenarios for OSBL flare and flare headers.
Polymer Plastics Production
- Independent process engineering review of detail design documents
- Subject Matter Expert support.