Perform an independent process engineering review of detail engineering design deliverables for a new unit at an explosives production facility.
INDEPENDENT PROCESS DESIGN REVIEW OF ACETIC ACID REFINING UNIT DETAIL DESIGN
The client is a defense solutions provider for the Federal government and operates an explosives manufacturing facility. Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted by the client to provide a process engineering review of detailed design documents generated by the client’s detailed design contractor (Engineer) for a new acid refining unit (acetic acid) at the facility. Previously, PROCESS had generated a conceptual process design for the unit, with the Engineer being given some of those deliverables (including PROCESS‘ CHEMCAD simulation model) to use as a starting point for their design.
The overall objective of the design review project was to perform a technical review of the process as the design developed at the 30%, 60%, and 90% design stages, and to verify that the documented project design requirements were delivered and conformed to sound engineering practices. Due to the criticality of the schedule for the design effort, PROCESS executed the review on a “best efforts” basis, with the scope and detail of the review being adjusted to meet project schedule constraints.
Specific tasks for this project included:
- Participation in 30%, 60%, and 90% project review meetings at the client site, during which engineer presented deliverables for discussion.
- Review of various engineer deliverables generated for the 30%, 60%, and 90% project milestones. These deliverables either were process deliverables or had aspects that could impact the process design or performance of the new unit: various discipline Design Basis documents; Equipment Lists; Single Point Failure and Critical Equipment Analyses; Process Flow Diagram (PFD); Relief Device Calculations; Heat and Mass Balances; Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs); Tie-In Lists; Interlock Narratives; Process Narratives; CHEMCAD models; System Requirements Documents; Process Equipment Datasheets; Equipment Sizing Calculations; Hydraulic System Calculations; Piping Specifications; General Arrangement Drawings; Line Lists with Materials of Construction; Vendor Quotes; and Instrument Lists.
- Documentation of PROCESS‘ comments for the above deliverables in the form of bulleted reports that listed comments grouped by engineer deliverable.
- Internal review of PROCESS comments by a second PROCESS project team member, whose comments were also submitted to the client.
- Explosives Production
- Independent process engineering review