Project SynopsisUpdate a refinery relief header/flare model prior to the installation of a new refinery flare and a seal pot as part of a flare gas recovery unit installation.
REFINERY FLARE HEADER AND SEAL POT MODELING
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) has maintained the client’s refinery-wide relief header and flare system model for several years.
PROCESS was contracted by the client to update the refinery relief header/flare model prior to the installation of a new refinery flare and a seal pot for a flare gas recovery unit. PROCESS was also tasked with updating the refinery flare model with various upgrades that the client had recently implemented. The immediate purpose of this model update was to identify areas of excessive backpressure and to recommend ways to reduce the backpressure prior to the installation of the new flare and seal pot. The overarching purpose was to maintain an accurate, up-to-date refinery relief header/flare system simulation model.
PROCESS performed the following tasks for this project:
- Based on information provided by the client (relief header isometric piping drawings and flare and seal pot dimensions and predicted pressure drops), PROCESS updated the relief header piping, added a pressure drop element for the seal pot, and revised the flare stack dimensions in the existing relief header/flare system model using its licensed commercial computer process simulation software
- Based on PROCESS‘ previous relief valve evaluations and relief scenario definitions for this refinery as well as information provided by the client, PROCESS built the relief stream compositions and flow rates into the existing relief header/flare system simulation for the refinery-wide loss of power relief scenario (controlling scenario)
- Performed an hydraulic simulation for the refinery-wide loss of power relief scenario and summarized the resulting backpressures at the discharge of the respective relief valves
- Identified and tested potential piping and/or relief valve changes to eliminate problems with excessive backpressure at the relief valve discharges
- Summarized the hydraulic evaluation results and recommendations in a letter report to the client.
- Petroleum Refining
- Flare gas recovery system knowledge
- Flare header system knowledge
- Pressure relief valve (PRV) or pressure safety valve (PSV) sizing