Perform an audit of existing relief valve documentation at a refrigerant manufacturing facility.
REFRIGERANT PRODUCTION FACILITY SAFETY VALVE SIZING
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted by the client, a Fortune 100 company specializing in technology development and manufacturing, to perform a due diligence survey of their pressure relief device (PRD) program and related documentation for an operating facility in Louisiana that manufactures refrigerants and related byproducts. The purpose of the review was to make a determination regarding the adequacy of documentation related to relief devices and to develop an estimate of what would be needed to improve the site’s documentation. As a part of this project, the following tasks were accomplished:
- Performed a site visit to review existing documentation, to interview operations personnel, and to perform spot checks of relief devices to verify if documentation matched field devices
- Generated a report that qualitatively summarized the state of the documentation reviewed
- Identified specific trends present at the facility related to relief device documentation and developed specific recommended and/or suggested action items to bring the facility into compliance with PRD requirements
- Generated a cost estimate to perform work related to improving the PRD program and related documentation.
An engineer from PROCESS visited the facility and performed an audit of documentation, interviewed operations personnel, and spot checked field devices for accuracy. Documentation for approximately 800 pressure safety valves (PSVs), conservation vents, and various other relief devices were reviewed and devices were spot checked while on site. Trends and areas for improvement were identified and a report was generated indicating what action items might be necessary. A cost estimate was also developed that indicated the expected client expenditures that should be required to bring the site’s program up to best industry practices.
- Chemical Production
- Relief device documentation audit