Preliminary utilities process design for the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) commissioning target.
SPALLATION NEUTRON SOURCE COMMISSIONING TARGET UTILITIES PRELIMINARY DESIGN
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted by the client to provide a preliminary process design for utilities for the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) commissioning target, should the facility be started with this target rather than the mercury target.
In support of the commissioning target evaluation project, Process provided executed the following tasks:
- Development of a process design basis for primary and secondary cooling loop operation
- Preparation of offgas generation and mass and energy balance calculations for the primary and secondary cooling loops
- Development and evaluation of alternative designs for the delay tanks and gas/liquid separators for the hot cell primary cooling loop
- Preparation of preliminary process control diagrams (PCDs) depicting primary hot cell and secondary decay heat cooling loops, primary unit operations associated with these loops, utility lines (helium, nitrogen, vacuum, etc.), and major utility-related process controls
- Calculation of preliminary line sizes cooling loop and utility lines
- Preparation of preliminary equipment sizing calculations for the primary and secondary cooling loops unit operations
- Preparation of equipment layout drawings for the primary and secondary cooling loops
- Evaluation of the impacts associated with the implementation of the new commissioning target cooling loops on current SNS design
- Execution of a cooling loop water alternatives technical and economic evaluation for the purpose of comparing the use of heavy water and light water in the primary cooling loop.
During the course of the project, PROCESS utilized an in-house computer simulation program to estimate residence time distributions supporting the design of a unique configuration for the primary cooling loop delay tank. This new delay tank design was executed due to space restrictions in the hot cell that prohibited the use of the standard cooling loop delay tank design.
The information generated during the course of this project was compiled for the client for future use pending the decision to utilize the commissioning target for facility startup.
- Nuclear Research Facility
- Cooling loop system design
- Piping and equipment sizing