Develop a scaled-up process design for a high-value specialty batch chemical product.
SPECIALTY PRODUCT BATCH PROCESS DEFINITION AND SCALE-UP DESIGN
The client, a batch specialty chemical producer, has a high-value specialty chemical that they currently produce using bench-scale batch equipment. Due to increased demand, Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was brought in to evaluate the process and determine the requirements for scaling production up 10-fold.
Among the tasks completed by PROCESS were:
- Performed a technology evaluation to determine available options for:
- Metered solids addition at a small scale
- Filtration units capable of operating under extremely corrosive conditions while minimizing loss of liquid product in the filtered liquids
- Pelletizing/particulate formation for corrosive solids.
- Identified vendors for producing units (e.g., tanks, heat exchangers, filters, pumps) constructed with only glass or PTFE wetted parts. This was critical due to the corrosive nature of the product.
- Performed a preliminary mass and energy balance using CHEMCAD process simulation model software. Further calculations were completed to determine agitated jacketed tank heating/cooling rates.
- Calculated preliminary equipment sizes based on the calculated mass and energy balance.
- Produced a cycle time analysis of the proposed system to evaluate total potential production rate.
- Generated an equipment list for the major unit operations needed in the scaled-up process.
- Obtained budgetary quotes of equipment for the system.
- Performed an analysis on the proposed new process to examine environmental, capital cost, and technical risks for the project.
- Performed a HAZID safety review of the new process to evaluate chemical and process hazards for the scaled-up process.
Based on the findings in this project, the client was able to move forward with internal funding and investigation of equipment options for the scaled-up production system.
- Specialty Chemicals Manufacturing
- Batch process evaluation
- Batch process design
- Small-scale process design