Provide relief device sizing calculations in support of a project being performed by a regional engineering company.
SAFETY VALVE SIZING PROJECT FOR A SYN GAS COMPRESSION SYSTEM
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was subcontracted by the client, a regional detail engineering firm, to perform sizing services for safety relief devices associated with a synthetic (syn) gas compression system located downstream of the steam methane reformer (SMR) at a facility that produces ammonia, nitric acid, and various other products. As a part of this project the following tasks were accomplished:
- Visited the operating site and gathered relevant information from field devices, equipment files, and operator interviews
- Performed sizing calculations and provided custom documentation for 12 pressure safety valves (PSVs)
- Performed hydraulic calculations to adequately size inlet and outlet piping for the new PSVs
- Developed process level specification sheets for any new PSV devices.
PROCESS utilized its licensed commercial simulation software’s hydraulics package and chemical/physical component database, along with its proprietary in-house relief device capacity computer program with calculations based on the guidelines in American Petroleum Institute (API) Standards 520 and 521, to determine the pressure relief requirements for this application.
PROCESS supplied the client with customized pressure relief device (PRD) sizing documentation packages that included safety device calculations and relief valve equipment datasheets that could be used to obtain quotes from vendors. PROCESS also suggested specific relief devices represented in vendor literature.
- Industrial Process Detail Engineering
- Relief device sizing