Project SynopsisProvide process engineering support to help a specialty chemical manufacturer produce an encapsulated product in a more concentrated product form.
TECHNICAL ANALYSIS AND TESTING OF DEWATERING TECHNOLOGIES IN THE PRODUCTION OF ENCAPSULATED CHEMICALS
Process Engineering Associates, LLC (PROCESS) was contracted by the client, a specialty chemical manufacturer, to assist with the identification and testing of dewatering technologies to be used to produce concentrated encapsulated compounds which are currently under development at the client’s pilot plant. The client is looking to dewater this product further to achieve a much higher concentrated product. As part of this effort, PROCESS completed the following tasks:
- Investigation of technical alternatives for the dewatering of the product. The fragrance is volatile, so standard drying methods were not acceptable; physical separation methods were examined extensively.
- Selection of technologies with the highest probability of success for this process, which needed to be capable of operating with small particle sizes and highly concentrated solids.
- Identification of vendors supplying the desired equipment and the capability of testing the technologies of interest.
- Generation of Test Plans, scheduling, and execution of experimental trials to prove the viability of the technologies of interest. Also, identified vendors and obtained quotes for pilot-scale rental equipment on preferred technologies to allow the client to do further development work at their facility.
- Completion of a detailed evaluation and summary report based on the technical alternatives review and vendor testing results.
- Delivered a seminar on general physical solid-liquid separation technologies for the education of the client’s research and technology group.
Based on the results of this work, specialized centrifuges showed the most promise for this application.
- Specialty Chemical Manufacturing
- Process technology screening
- Process equipment vendor test plan development and support
- Technical staff training.